Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Black Thumb Project

Well, it's that time of year again where I spend too much money at Home Depot and kill lots of plants or as some call it, Spring. Around the beginning of March I enjoy planting a small herb garden or as my husband calls it...the plant graveyard. I have to be honest, I find it very relaxing and it's a decent workout to work in the yard so if nothing else, it burns a few calories and something is bound to survive.

This year, what was suppose to be a simple gardening morning turned into a 2-day garden restructure due to some unwanted friends (ants). Every year, I plant a few herbs right next to the house. But this year, I noticed a lot of ants wandering around the structure. When a did a bit of digging, I found huge ant hills and decided it was time for a move!

The before...



Getting closer.....



DONE!



I went a little crazy this year and thought I would not only plant (and probably kill) herbs but tomatoes and peppers too. The heirlooms always look so colorful and yummy in the store i'm sure mine will look just like that. hehe.


I also ventured out of my comfort zone and purchased 2 varieties of lavender (French variety and Provence) and a bay leaf tree. Weeee shall seeeeee.



I always plant tons of sweet basil for two reasons: one, it always survives and two, I make some pretty mean Italian bruschetta throughout spring and summer. Recipe to come!


And, finally, cilantro (bound to kill but so delicious), peppermint for my tea, and oregano for when I make Greek food (which is often). 



And then I thought, while I'm at it, let's kill a lemon tree!




It's definitely a start and I'm really excited to see how it flourishes. I will post an update as it grows. There is nothing like fresh herbs from your garden in a dish. If I had the time, knowledge, and a crew of 10 this would be my garden...

Does anyone have advice on keeping a garden alive naturally? I'm not a fan of too many chemicals. Or stories about your experience in the garden? If so, comment below because I would love to know I'm not the only one sending plants to the grave every spring:)

Party Nicole







No comments:

Post a Comment